Good sailing practices
Light sailing as an activity uses the sea and the wind as natural resources. It is clear that the activity does not “consume” this resource directly but there are certain practices that can damage the quality of the marine and coastal environment or put the safety of users at risk. Below are those desirable practices to carry out the activity in the safest and most respectful way possible.
Before the activity
It is important to plan the activity
- It is important to plan the activity and know what the weather forecast is. in the meteo/webcam section you will be able to know what the conditions are in real time and see the forecasts.
- It is important to adapt the activity to the level of users, in this way ensures that everyone has fun.
- No matter how much experience a sailor has, there are always limiting conditions that can put both the boat and people at risk.
- Whenever possible, do not develop your activity alone, equip yourself with a communication device (mobile, VHF…) and inform someone when they go sailing and when they return.
- The life-saving vest is considered a basic safety team for all regulations relating to dinghy sailing. the life-saving vest must be used.
- In order to avoid surprises in the water, the boat must be kept in good condition.
- Do your best to avoid the use of single-use plastics, especially plastic bottles and bags. Today there is a wide range of reusable products.
During the activity
Even if sailing vessels have preference over those that go motoring, the norm of avoiding collisionalways prevails.
- It is necessary that the entrance and exit of the port is done as quickly as possible, the port is a transit area and not an area to enjoy the light sailing.
- Do not throw any form of rubbish into the sea, not even organic matter.
- Light sailing does not exclude us from complying with the general sailing standards, all buoys and signals must be respected.
After the activity
Make rational use of fresh water to desalinate the ship.
- Do not desalinate if the boat has to return to the water the next day.
- Clean the boat with soap only when necessary and ensure that the soap is biodegradable and suitable for maritime use.
Repairs with polyester or epoxy resins
If you need to make a repair on your boat
- If you need to make a reparation on your boat and decide to do it yourself, bear in mind that both polyester resin and epoxy resin are very polluting products that can pose a high risk to both the environment and people.
- Never let minors manipulate these products without the supervision of an experienced adult.
- If it is the first time that you manipulate this type of substance, it is advisable to do so with someone who has done it before and knows what the necessary security conditions are since these products can be dangerous if they are not used correctly.
- It is highly recommended to wear gloves, mask and protective glasses when handling these types of substances as they can strip irritating vapours.
- It is important to read both the manufacturer’s recommendations and the security conditions written on the product label to ensure that good use is made.
- The product that is sober and not used must be deposited in the green point and never in urban waste containers.